Over the next several months Punta Gorda Police Officers will be distributing reflective gear to citizens who ride and walk in the early morning and night hours. The department has received a multitude of reflective gear, to include: reflective vests, reflective lanyards and reflective bracelets from the Florida Department of Transportation.
The Dress Bright at Night Campaign is part of the police department’s overall bicycle and pedestrian safety initiative that began in late 2014. The department has conducted numerous bicycle and pedestrian safety presentations at our local schools and daycare facilities. In addition, officers have been passing out bike lights to those in need. Reflective items will also be available at the Punta Gorda Police Department, 1410 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m-5:00p.m.
The police department would like to provide the following safety tips for those cyclists and pedestrians that choose to walk during the hours of darkness.
- See and be seen- dress brightly and do not assume motorists can see you;
- Wear bright or reflective colors;
- Stay out of a driver’s blind spot at all times;
- Make eye contact with motorists when crossing the street;
- Use crosswalks – marked crosswalks are the safest places for pedestrians to cross the street; and
- Plan safe walking/riding routes – utilize sidewalks and the city pathways when available.
Chief Albert (Butch) Arenal stated, “Ensuring the safety of our residents and visitors while they walk and ride around our beautiful City is of utmost importance. Every step we take in educating our customers about bicycle and pedestrian safety is a step closer to eliminating a possible tragic accident.”
Lieutenant Joe King
Punta Gorda Police Department