The Fort Myers Police Department would like to take this opportunity to pass along valuable information in regards to the sometimes risky practice associated with purchasing goods from strangers. This comes in the wake of Sunday evening’s robbery of a pair of Nike sneakers whose sale was legally negotiated online through a Facebook page. The illegal side of the incident occurred when the buyer pulled out a knife and took the seller’s merchandise by force at an apartment complex which was the agreed upon meet location.
“We stand firm that these types of situations should be avoided at all costs but if one chooses to involve themselves in a face-to-face meet-up where cash or valuables are exchanged between strangers we would like you to be as well informed as possible,” said police spokesperson Lieutenant Victor Medico.
- Choose a safe, well-lit public venue for a face-to-face meeting
- Have someone accompany you like an adult, especially if you’re a minor
- Choose locations that have video surveillance
- Do your research before meeting a buyer or seller. Get as much information as possible and try to verify it before meeting
- If you get any indication that something is a “miss” trust it and cancel the meeting
- As always call the police to report any crime or suspicious activity
Lieutenant Victor Medico
Public Information Officer
Fort Myers Police Department
2210 Widman Way
Fort Myers, Florida 33901