The 2014 holiday season is coming to a close and the Fort Myers Police Department is continuing its efforts by joining law enforcement throughout the nation for the “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign. The impaired driving crackdown will include high-visibility enforcement along with saturation patrols now through the New Year. FMPD is giving fair warning to all partygoers. The enforcement is an effort to make City streets safer by cracking down on impaired driving and improve traffic safety through the following:
- Remove impaired drivers from the roadway.
- Reduce the likelihood impaired drivers will operate their vehicles on our roadways.
- Heighten awareness.
- Educate the public on the dangers of drunk driving.
This and other increased patrol operations are scheduled as part of the FMPD strategic plan and on-going efforts to make the streets safer by educating the public on traffic safety issues. Police offer these steps to make sure that you and everyone you celebrate with avoids driving under the influence:
- Plan ahead. Always designate a non-drinking driver before any holiday party or celebration begins.
- Take the keys. Do not let a friend drive if they are impaired.
- Be a helpful host. If you’re hosting a party, remind your guests to plan ahead and designate a sober driver, always offer alcohol-free beverages, and make sure all of your guests leave with a sober driver.
- If you see an impaired driver on the road call police.
“Let’s all enjoy the end of this year and make sure those around us are around to see next year,” said police spokesperson Lieutenant Victor Medico.
Lieutenant Victor Medico
Public Information Officer
Fort Myers Police Department
2210 Widman Way
Fort Myers, Florida 33901