The Fort Myers Police Department would like to take this opportunity to remind citizens of a few quick safety tips that will reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of vehicle burglary. FMPD’s initiative to “Park Smart” and reduce vehicle burglaries in 2014 is a two-pronged approach. Intelligence led proactive patrols, along with due diligence from vehicle owners, will help us reach the goal and make our community safer. “Most of the safety measures we are talking about from vehicle owners require little to no effort at all but will go an extremely long way,” said police spokesperson Lieutenant Victor Medico.
- Do not leave valuables inside the vehicle or in plain view.
(GPS devices, lap tops, PDA’s, cell phones, MP3’s, wallets, purses)
- Do not leave windows or sunroofs open.
- Do not leave doors unlocked.
- Do not leave keys in the vehicle.
- Do not leave the garage door opener inside the vehicle or in plain view.
- Do not leave items with personal information inside the vehicle. Use the locking function on the glove box to secure vehicle registration and insurance paperwork.
*Slow down and make a conscious effort to check your vehicle every time you leave it*
If you see something suspicious in your neighborhood call FMPD. Even if it’s something small or just a hunch let us check it out. Be the good witness while allowing us to be the good investigators.
Lieutenant Victor Medico
Public Information Officer
Fort Myers Police Department
2210 Widman Way
Fort Myers, Florida 33901