“Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over”
The Fort Myers Police Department is joining law enforcement throughout the nation for the “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign. The impaired driving crackdown will include high-visibility enforcement now through the Labor Day Holiday. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration every year about one third of all motor vehicle traffic deaths involve one or more drunk drivers or motorcycle operators. FMPD is reminding everyone that buzzed driving is drunk driving and planning ahead could prevent you from becoming a statistic. The enforcement is an effort to make City streets safer by cracking down on impaired driving and improve traffic safety through the following:
- Remove impaired drivers from the roadway.
- Reduce the likelihood impaired drivers will operate their vehicles on our roadways.
- Heighten awareness.
- Educate the public on the dangers of drunk driving.
FMPD will conduct a DUI sobriety checkpoint sometime this coming weekend. This and other increased patrol operations are scheduled as part of the FMPD strategic plan and on-going efforts to make the streets safer by educating the public on traffic safety issues. Police offer these steps to make sure that you and everyone you celebrate with avoids driving under the influence:
- Plan ahead. Always designate a non-drinking driver before any holiday party or celebration begins.
- Take the keys. Do not let a friend drive if they are impaired.
- Be a helpful host. If you’re hosting a party, remind your guests to plan ahead and designate a sober driver, always offer alcohol-free beverages, and make sure all of your guests leave with a sober driver.
- If you see an impaired driver on the road call police.
Fort Myers Police Department